When we first lost our business and our home in California we also put aside our wants of having a cell phone with us. To be honest, I had withdrawals in the beginning. For five years we refused to have cell phones until we could afford the pricing. Our teens, much to their dismay, didn't have cell phones like their friends and thus were confined to communicating with the old fashioned machine called the telephone. We went on vacations without a phone, we went through day to day life not looking at our phones. We eventually were able to afford our phones as our finances began to become under control. Still our teens grumbled as we refused to give them phone service until they were heading off to college. Last year I spent an entire year being chained to my phone. Every single alert that came across my phone generally meant I had to work. It was mind numbing how many hours of the day I actually poured into using my phone.
I couldn't take the hectic nature of my job and left it as you all know. I continue to keep a tight grip on my phone listening for every alert. Some habits are hard to break, but it feels good to unplug and not worry about what the day will bring workwise.
Am I insane for giving up all of the hustle and bustle? I don't think so. I'm happy with my new jobs I am putting in for that there is no reason I should have to worry about having my phone on at all times of the day or night. I'm hoping I can still keep my sanity and remain unplugged for the most part.
Do you unplug? Have you taken a vacation without worrying about someone trying to reach you?

No comments:
Post a Comment